POST /rpc/ping HTTP/1.0 User-Agent: Aquilakahecate Host: rpc.technorati.com Content-Type: text/xml Content-length: 250 weblogUpdates.ping Omniscience Annex http://breindood.blogspot.com/

03 January 2006

Science Must Destroy Religion

Another Goody from Sam
The distinction between science and religion is not a matter of excluding our ethical intuitions and non-ordinary states of consciousness from our conversation about the world; it is a matter of our being rigorous about what is reasonable to conclude on their basis.


Truth there-I have some ideas and experiences with non-ordinary states of consciousness but I lack enough data for a reasonable conclusion-therefore I keep my tentative hypothoses to myself.

I just wish more of us would.

When we find reliable ways to make human beings more loving, less fearful, and genuinely enraptured by the fact of our appearance in the cosmos, we will have no need for divisive religious myths.


I wish I wish I wish that were true-but I have a deep suspicion that it’s not.
That humans will continue to divide themselves along whatever lines seems most profitab….errr….appropriate to them.
And let’s face it- we have evolved as a cooperating species only in smallish groups-somewhere around 150 isn’t it?- which encourages the demonisation of outsiders and the drawing up of definitions as to what constitutes ‘them’and what makes for ‘us’.
Religion is not only a most convenient defining charactersitic, it is also one of the most easily recognised.

If you have a pentagram around your neck, you’re a member of a certain ‘us’.I
f you do not wear a burka in public, you are most certainly not one of another form of ‘us’ and thus deserve to die where you stand.


The thing is here, Sam-that you seem to have forgotten the most important fact of all-and that is that humans are not reasonable creatures.
Most of us are highly irrational and see absolutlely no problem with it, as society doesn’t punish us for it
On the contrary, much irrationality is rewarded in the organism by having its needs cared for by patriarchal, paternalistic governors of various stripes-be they ministers of government, ministers of religion or insane asylum nurses.